Visit Nancy's Sussex County PagesIf you would like to view my township map, click here.
(Population Schedule Only)
See bottom of this page for column explanation.
Byram Township was set off from Newton in 1798. It is located at the extreme southern point of Sussex County, bordered by Andover and Sparta Townships on the north, Morris and Warren Counties on the east and south and Green and Andover Townships on the west. Physical features include Lake Hopatcong and the Musconnetcong River. The area is mountainous and contains a large amount of iron ore. Villages include Roseville, Stanhope and Waterloo. The Sussex Railroad connects to the Morris and Essex Railroads in Waterloo. It's name is most likely derived from two of it's earliest settlers, Jephthah and John Byram.
Frankford Township was set off from Newton in 1797. It is bordered on the north by Wantage Township, on the east by Lafayette, on south by Hampton and on the west by Sandyston. Physcial features include the Blue Mountains on the west which separate Frankford from Sandyston. Collver's Gap, the pass through these mountains, was the stage road from Branchville to Port Jervis, NY. The northwestern portion is stony and uneven, but the soil is extremely fertile. Villages include Augusta, Branchville, Papakating (Pellettown) and Wykertown.
Green Township was set off from the Townships of Hardwick and Greenwich in 1824, the same year that Warren County was set off from Sussex. It includes all of that part of Hardwick and Greenwich which remained in Sussex County. It is bordered by Hampton and Andover Townships on the northeast, Byram on the southeast, Stillwater on the northwest and Warren County on the southwest. Physical features include the Pequest River. Villages located in Green Township are Greensville, Huntsville, Canadatown (Tranquility), and Washington (Hunt's Mills). Township was named after Ephraim Green, one of the original settlers.
Hardyston Township (A-L)
Hardyston Township (M-Z)
Hardyston Township was set off from the Township of Newton in 1762. It is bordered on the north by Vernon and Wantage Townships, on the west by Lafayette Township, on the south by Sparta Township and on the east by Morris and Passaic Counties. Most of Hardyston is mountainous, those mountains being an abundant source of zinc and iron. Principal villages located in Hardyston include Franklin, Hamburg, Hardystonville, and Snufftown. The Midland Railroad passes through the Township on its way to New York and Passaic County.
Montague was set off from the Walpack in 1759. It is located in the northwest corner of Sussex County, bordered by New York to the north, Wantage Twp. to the east, Sandyston Twp. to the south and the Delaware River and Pennsylvaniato the west. The only major physical feature is the Blue Mountain range which separates it from Wantage. It is sparcely populated and it's most valuable resource was it's timber. Villages include Montague and Millville. The history of Montague is closely connected with the Mahacameck Church (Deepark) of Port Jervis, NY, and was originally included as part of the 'Minisink' region.
Newton Township (A-K)
Newton Township (L-Z)
Newton Township was one of the original four precinct chosen by the commissioners when Sussex County was set off from Morris County in 1753. At that time it included all of what is the present county that is east of the Blue Mountains. The village of Newton is situated slightly south of the center of Sussex County between the Wallkill and Blue (Kittatinny) Mountains. In 1765, by an act of the State goverment, it became the county seat and a court house was erected on land leased by Henry Hairlocker. It's current area was established when Fredon Township was set off in 1904.
Sandyston Township was established by Royal Patent from Wallpack in 1762. It is bordered on the north by Montague, on the south by Wallpack, to the east by Frankford and the west by the Delaware River. It's average size is seven a quarter miles long and 6 miles wide. Physical features include the Little and Big Flat Brook, which form a juction about a mile southeast of Peter's Valley, and then join with the Delawre River at the southern most part of Wallpack. Villages include Hainesville, Laytons (Centerville), Bevans, Peter's Valley (The Corners) and Tuttle's Corner. Sandyston was originally considered part of the Minisink Valley.
Stillwater was set off from Hardwick Twp. when Warren County was set off from Sussex County in 1824. It is located in the southern part of the county, bordered on the west by Walpack, on the south by Warren Co., on the east by Green and Andover Twps., and on the northeast by Hampton. The land is most suitable for farming. Physical features include the Blue Mountains on the west which separate it from Walpack Twp., the Paulinskill River and Swartwoods Pond. Villages located in Stillwater Twp. include Stillwater, Fredon, Middleville and Swartswood.
Vernon Township was set off from Hardyston Township in 1792. It is bordered on the north by Orange Co., NY, on the east by Passaic Co., NJ, on the south by Hardyston Twp. and on the west by Wantage Twp.. The western border is formed by the Wallkill River. Other physical features include the Wawayanda Mountains, Lake Wawayanda and the "drowned lands of the Wallkill", a marshy tract of land at the southwestern part of the township. The principal villages in Vernon Twp. are Vernon, McAffee (West Vernon), Canisteer and Glenwood (once called North Vernon).
Walpack Township was formed in 1753 as one of the original 4 Townships that made up Sussex Co. At that time it included all that which is now Montague and Sandyston Townships. It was bordered on the west by the Delaware River and Pennsylvania, with New York to the north, Warren County to the south and it was separated from Stillwater Twp. to the east by the Blue Mountains. Only two villages are located in Walpack, Flatbrookville and Walpack Centre. The Flatbrook River flows the length of the township. It's history is closely connected with that of Bushkill, PA. One of the earliest churches in the county was the Flatbrookville Reformed Church which dates back to 1737.
Wantage Township (A-H)
Wantage Township (J-Z)
Wantage Township was set off from the original township of Newton in 1754 and is the largest township in the County with an area of approximately 40,000 square miles. It is bordered on the north by Orange Co., NY, on the east by Vernon and Hardyston, on the south by Frankford and Lafayette, and on the west by Montague. Many of those populating Wantage came from Ulster and Orange Counties, NY. Wantage lies between the Pochunk Mountain on the east and the Blue Mountains to it's west. The land is very fertile and well populated with farmers. Two rivers, the Clove River and the Papakating River, both tributaries of the Walkill River, run through Wantage. The principal villages of Wantage are Deckertown (now called Sussex), Beemerville, Colevill, Libertyville, Mt. Salem and Rockport.
|Free White Males||Free White Females|
|1. 0-4||1. 0-4|
|2. 5-9||2. 5-9|
|3. 10-14||3. 10-14|
|4. 15-19||4. 15-19|
|5. 20-29||5. 20-29|
|6. 30-39||6. 30-39|
|7. 40-49||7. 40-49|
|8. 50-59||8. 50-59|
|9. 60-69||9. 60-69|
|10. 70-79||10. 70-79|
|11. 80-89||11. 80-89|
|12. 90+||12. 90+|
I hope to add other Townships as time permits.
Note: It is difficult to proof read something like this so if you find an error, I welcome the correction. Thanks.